Friday, October 13, 2017

Angels in America: Millennium Approaches

Religion is mentioned a lot in the play Angels in America. The characters Louis and Joe deal with their sexuality under the spotlight up Judaism and Mormonism, respectively. Being Jewish, I know that homosexuality is definitely not tolerated in our religion. This might be the reason why in the beginning of the play, it seems that Louis is not openly gay with his family. From previous knowledge I’m pretty sure that Mormons are entirely against homosexuality which is probably why Joe was probably in denial throughout his whole life about being gay. “Joe: Stop it. Stop it. I’m warning you. Does that make any difference? That I might be one thing deep within, no matter how wrong or ugly that thing is, so long as I have fought, with everything I have, to kill it.”( Millennium Approaches, scene eight)
I don’t think that it is wrong for Louis to just come across the thought about leaving Prior. I can see why it seems difficult to stay with someone when you know it’s not going to end well and it’s going to take such a huge toll on you, emotionally. However, at the end of the day if you truly love someone it’s not right to leave them just because things are getting difficult😑.

Roy Cohn feels the way he does about his homosexuality probability because of the idea of religion which I brought up in the first paragraph. Roy Cohn grew up in a conservative Jewish household. When someone grows up under the impression that gay people are bad and that it is a sin to be gay, they will never have a positive outlook on homosexuality. He wasn’t in denial because clearly he was having sex with men, hence why he got AIDS to begin with. However, that doesn’t mean he was complacent with himself being gay and that’s why he would never admit it to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment