Although I think Tita was placed in the novel to be its heroine, Nancha has
easily become my favorite character. I’m impressed with the fact that even
though she’s an older lady, she doesn’t seem to agree with all of the strict
traditions that is forced on women in the Mexican culture. Even when Titas’s
love of her life was going to marry her sister, no one but Nancha actually felt
bad for her or comforted her.
“Now were alone in the kitchen, so go ahead and cry, my child, because I
don’t want them to see you crying tomorrow. Especially not
Rosaura.” (Esquivel,10) So sad she died so early in the book ;(
At first, I was a little taken aback of Esquival’s magic realism
especially when all the wedding guests started throwing up and getting sick
from the tears in the cake that Tita baked, it seemed a little too dramatic and
I’m usually not a fan of texts that aren’t realistic. However, I loved the
scene when Tita prepared a dish with quail in rose sauce. I interpreted the
roses being a representation of passion and lust because after eating it,
Gertrudis blissfully ran off with Juan whilst being naked. From
my take on the type of person Gertrudis was, I was pretty shocked that she
never stood up to Mama Elena for Tita. Gertrudis really seemed like a woman
ahead of her time; she pushed for what she wanted and didn’t really care about
what society had to say about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment