Saturday, December 2, 2017

Blog #10

My favorite text from the first batch of final readings was "A Short Story: My First Love-Part One". This is also one of the readings that grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading more. The language of it was very understandable and I never really felt too confused with some of the terminology that was placed in the story. When I finished reading it, I was upset because I really wanted to know what happened after. The author incorporated love and loss into the story nicely. First, there was the unconditional love between the mother and her son especially since it took her four years before successfully having a baby. The other love was between the protagonist and Serwaa. I honestly think that it wasn't actually love that he was feeling, but lust. Anyways I couldn’t just accept that ending so I found part two of the story online and read it. I read that Serwaa, predictably, dies as a result of that abortion pill. So the loss in the story is the guy(I don’t think they tell us his name) losing Serwaa, the guy losing his freedom when he is sent to 20 years in prison, and his parents when they lost their only son.

I also really enjoyed reading the short poems by Rupi Kaur. I feel like a lot of them held a lot of truth to them. Many of them contained metaphors, but they were understandable and made complete sense to me (which is pretty rare for me and poems). I especially liked the poem in which she talks about deciding whether she spend the rest of her life with a person based on if they would still “Jump into bed like we’re twenty/ Can I picture us in old age/ Conquering the world/ Like we’ve got young blood/ Running in our veins”. She realizes that it can be easy to fall for someone based on the façade of money and looks, but she doesn’t want to face any repercussions in the future because of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment